October 28, 2009
I love musicals. When I was younger I always thought it would be fun to be in one, singing and dancing for an audience. I did dance for awhile, but never pursued a career out of it (and part of me does think "what if...") and well, my voice isn't exactly spectacular enough for Broadway (but I like to imagine sometimes)

The Sound of Music (1965) is one of my favorite musicals and my favorite as a child. My other favorite musicals are My Fair Lady (the very first Audrey Hepburn movie I saw, I was immediately smitten) which initially was suppose to star Julie Andrews who starred in the Broadway version.

I always thought Maria's clothes were so sweet and simple. I especially liked her traveling outfit, the one the poor didn't want. (LOL!) But then she sews herself some lovely dresses and the children gets clothes made from curtains. (LOL!)



Long post short, I am currently listening to music from "The Sound of Music" and was so delighted to see someone had posted them on Youtube with the lyrics. I never could understand what Maria is singing in parts of "The Sound of Music".



THE SOUND OF MUSIC
The hills are alive with the sound of music
With songs they have sung for a thousand years
The hills fill my heart with the sound of music
My heart wants to sing every song it hears
My heart wants to beat like the wings of the birds
that rise from the lake to the trees
My heart wants to sigh like a chime that flies
from a church on a breeze
To laugh like a brook when it trips and falls over
stones on its way
To sing through the night like a lark who is learning to pray

I go to the hills when my heart is lonely
I know I will hear what I've heard before
My heart will be blessed with the sound of music
And I'll sing once more


I do hope you watch the videos and sing-a-long! ^_^ Let out your inner Maria!

3 comments:

  1. Wow, I think you're a mind reader. I was actually planning to do a My Fair Lady or Sound of Music themed post this week! Those are two of my very favorite musicals. I too love Maria's clothing in the Sound of Music, they're so simply and pretty.
    For some reason watching the Sound of Music or listening to the soundtrack is always comforting to me for some reason.
    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YES! LOVE this movie! Although I'll always be partial to Liesel's outfit in the gazebo...completely adorable white lace thing. I've always wanted to play that role, but now I think I'm getting a bit too old :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE The Sound of Music!! It's so fun to sing! Especially in the shower :)

    http://thebusiestbee.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a little comment, I do try to respond back as often as I can. Have a lovely day! xoxo - Rodellee