August 14, 2009


Most people know the infamous redhead from the hit ABC sitcom "I Love Lucy" which aired in 1951.

But did you know Lucille Ball was first a model then Broadway star? (The photo above is from 1933 during Lucy's modeling days and also very, very blonde!) During her stint on Broadway, Lucy went by the name "Diane Belmont", a name that suggests girl next door and glamour (at least in my opinion)



During her career (which spanned nearly 40 years), Lucille Ball was nominated for 13 Emmy Awards (and won 4 of them).



Lucy is of Scottish, English, Irish, and French descent. You can view her ancestry tree here: Lucille Ball's Ancestor Tree The earliest "Ball" to arrive in America was Isaac Ball who arrived in the US in 1747. (Just fun FYI)



Lucy attended the School for the Dramatic Arts in New York City (with fellow screen goddess Bette Davis). She was sent there by her Mother who disliked her relationship with a certain gangster's son, Johnny DeVita (how Romeo & Juliet!), and thought some distance was needed between him and her daughter.



Lucille Ball died at the age of 77 on April 26th, 1989. She is buried in Jamestown, New York, where her relatives are also buried.

"I'm happy that I have brought laughter because I have been shown by many the value of it in so many lives, in so many ways."

A fan-made video of Lucy and Desi. (It's kind of a tear jerker, sorry... it's so sweet)

6 comments:

  1. awww "I Love Lucy!" I didn't know she was modeling before her acting career nor did I know she had blonde hair. She's so beautiful :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, to look like that!
    If only!

    You have a sweet blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh, thank you so much for doing this post! i LOVE lucille ball. i love all of her work pre and post "i love lucy" she is such a talent.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG I never realized how stunning whe was! I always thought she was lovely, but her face was always in motion and I was laughing! This was a whole new look. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my gosh, what a fantastic post! I love Lucy too! I'm giving away the first season of I Love Lucy on my blog if you're interested:-)

    Thanks for this great post!
    Kathie
    www.everybodyluvslucy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing this video I much appreciate it.


    Maria[dress shirt]

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a little comment, I do try to respond back as often as I can. Have a lovely day! xoxo - Rodellee